Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Breaking Free Of The Mold

In my last mix I talked about how playing what was expected of me nearly drove me to quit DJing. Fun though those songs may be, to play them every time I DJ and never play anything new was really hard on me.

I've since learned to play what I want. Well I play what I want within reason. There is still a lot of stuff I wouldn't dare play here in Macon that I love. But I get it out through my mixes. Like this one. It's full of great music but I would never be able to play this set in Macon and see people having a good time. But I must say when I DJed this past weekend I worked the Jill Scott and Michael Jackson remixes from this mix into my set and to my surprise people seemed to enjoy them. Maybe we're getting there in Macon. I won't hold my breath though.

As for this mix, it's full of Soulful House tunes that I've run across recently. Speaking of soulful. After the set I played this weekend I was talking to a couple of my favorite musical artists when some guys walked by and one of them stopped to talk for a bit. One told me he had been listening to my mixes here on Soundcloud and was shocked at the vast variety of stuff I play. Trying to put it in words he said, "You're different. You're just...soulful." It was a great compliment. I've been called way worse.

Back to this mix. Mario Biondi's "This Is What You Are" last heard from me in The Adventures Of Johnny Swank makes an appearance but with a rework from Opolopo. Opolopo is also behind the fantastic remix of Michael Jackson's "Rock With You". The true stand out on this mix is Josh Milan's "Thinking About Your Body" with Louie Vega on the remix. Lots of other goodies in this bag as well. Would love to hear what you think.

Enjoy

Breaking Free Of The Mold
The Foreign Exchange - So What If It Is
Moodymann - Run Away
Jill Scott - Golden (Kaytranada's Life Extended Living Edition)
Sade - Stronger Than Pride (Karizma's K2 Mix)
Mario Biondi & The High Five Quartet - This Is What You Are (Opolopo Remix)
Aloe Blacc - Dance For Life
QB - Yes No Maybe (QB's Hotstrumental)
The Layabouts - As Long As You Believe (BB Boogie Remix)
Audiowhores - Chains
Michael Jackson - Rock With You (Opolopo House Bounce)
Nativeroots, Zano - Taking Over The World (Original Mix)
Rick Wilhite - Drum Pattern And Memories (Moodymann Mix)
Black Coffee feat Soulstar - Rock My World (Julian Gomes Remix)
Josh Milan - Thinking About Your Body (Louie Vega Roots NYC Mix)
Funkineven & Fatima - Phoneline
Dee Dee Bridgewater - Children Go Round (Demissenw) (King Britt FiveSixMix)
Jose James - Spirits Above
Heidi Vogel - Black Narcissus (Emanative Remix)


No comments:

Post a Comment