Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Monday, April 15, 2013

Kids Just Want To Have Fun

I've gotten to a point in my life where a lot of my friends have kids.

There's only a short period of time where kids listen to your music and think it's interesting. Before you know it, they have you listening to the terrible pop music that's on the radio.

So before it get's to that point. I made this mix. It's full of fun kids songs that your kids will find fun and you will think are cool.

Maybe if you play them cool music, they'll grow up to be kids who like cool music instead of the pop on the radio. I mean, it happened to us, right?

I grew up with a lot of the songs in this mix. School House Rock was a Saturday morning favorite and I jammed out and sung along while learning all types of stuff (and I have to thank my homie Niraj for helping my track down the original versions of the School House Rock songs I used). I recently had a conversation on Twitter with comedian Leighann Lord after hearing one of her podcasts, about how rare it must be to be a fan of Blossom Dearie and hip-hop. I am one of these rarities because of School House Rock.

Sesame Street was so influential on me my mom said she never taught me my ABCs. She said she walked in on me one day singing along to them on Sesame Street. I never missed an episode of The Muppet Show with all their great musical guests!

And Disney...we all have a favorite Disney song and can sing along to more than we'd like to admit!

There's also some cool new stuff out there. I originally got the idea to do a kids mixtape when Maylee Todd released her new album and it had a version of Sesame Street's Pinball Number Song (which was originally performed by Herbie Hancock and The Pointer Sisters). Medeski, Martin, and Wood put out a kids album recently and They Might Be Giants always have fun songs that you and the kids will both have fun listening to.

So I hope you and your little ones have as much fun listening to this as I had making it. May it bring you all many fun moments filled with singing, dancing, and silliness!

Enjoy!

(Thanks to all who made suggestions for inclusions in this mix)

Kids Just Want To Have Fun
Bob Dorough & Friends - School House Rock
Maylee Todd - Pinball Number Count
Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Let's Go Everywhere
Jack Shelton & Terry Morel - Conjunction Juntion
They Might Be Giants - Particle Man
Louis Prima - I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)
Dr. Doofenshmirtz - There's A Platypus Controlling Me
Samuel E. Wright - Under The Sea
Dr. Teeth And The Electric Mayhem - Can You Picture That
Baloo - The Bear Necessities
Medeski, Martin, And Wood - Pirates Don't Take Baths
Robin Williams - Prince Ali
Mike Phirman - Chicken Monkey Duck
Dr. John - Curious George Theme Song
Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five - The Green Grass Grows All Around
Feist - 1,2,3,4 (Sesame Street Version)
They Might Be Giants - Istanbul
The Fraggles - Fraggle Rock Theme
The Muppets - The Muppet Show Theme
Jack Sheldon - I'm Just A Bill
Blossom Dearie - Unpack Your Adjectives
Wee Hairy Beasties - Wee Hairy Beasties
Yo Gabba Gabba - I Like To Dance


No comments:

Post a Comment