Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Monday, February 25, 2013

Dance Of An Inner City 80s Child

I was born in 75 but I loved the 80s. I was aware of it and old enough to appreciate it. I loved the clothes, the music, the dancing. I had a crush on Lisa Lisa from Cult Jam and if she wouldn't have me, maybe Shelia E would think I was cute. I couldn't wait to get older so I could go to the clubs and hear the music. All I wanted to do was be a B-Boy and break dance. I thought the 80s were going to last forever. I was so disappointed when I got old enough to do all the things I wanted to do and the 90s happened. The music wasn't as lively. The fashion was different I remember being excited when it became cool to wear fat laces in your shoes again. Some things never die.

My inner child who loves the 80s stops by every now and then to see what I am up to. He loves the fact that I am a DJ.

A little while ago a couple of things happened that inspired this mixtape. I was DJing one night when a friend of mine told me that she cried during my set because I played One Way's "Cutie Pie". She said her mother died when she was really young and before she passed on her mom would sing that song to her. It was the best story I have ever been told from DJing. Then I was hanging out with DJ Shawty Slim one day and we heard Rebbie Jackson's "Centipede". That coupled with a few other songs made me want to do an 80s Funky R&B mix. My intent was to make this a half hour mix for a tag team mixtape with Shawty Slim but as I started pulling out songs it got a bit longer than expected.

Well, my 80s inner kid caught wind of what I was doing. He sat in on this session and had a ball. He can't wait to grow up and become a DJ. He loves the mix and I hope you do too.

Dance Of An Inner City 80's Child
Yarbrough & Peoples - Don't Stop The Music
SOS Band - Just Be Good To Me
One Way - Cutie Pie
Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
The Fatback Band - I Found Lovin'
Nolan Thomas - Yo' Little Brother
Junior - Mama Used To Say
Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious
Pointer Sisters - Automatic
Howard Johnson - So Fine
Denroy Morgan - I'll Do Anything
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - I Wonder If I Take You Home
Change - Paradise
Rebbie Jackson - Centipede
Robert Palmer - I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
Apollonia 6 - Sex Shooter
D-Train - You're The One For Me.


No comments:

Post a Comment