Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Commander Chris Hadfield - Space Oddity

I started following Commander Chris Hadfield on Twitter shortly after he joined the crew of the International Space station. Being a lifelong lover of outer space since I first saw Star Wars Episode IV during its original run, how could I not? Here's a guy tweeting from outer space! He was sending us tons of pictures of what the Earth looked like from space! How cool was that? My inner nerd was jumping up and down and had a new hero.

This guy became an internet rock-star. He was receiving tweets from William Shatner and Hadfield was answering him back like he was talking to Captain Kirk!




He was then contacted by Leonard Nimoy and George Takei was posting about him on Facebook. Nerds and geeks everywhere withdrew their proposals to Neil Degrasse Tyson and was now down on one knee in front of Commander Hadfield.

I was watching NASA TV one night (See, I told you all! I really am a big nerd.) when they were conducting an interview with Commander Hadfield. They asked him what personal items he brought with him to the space station. Hadfield said he brought his guitar! *Swoon!*

I knew he loved hockey and we had that much in common but now I knew he was a music fan too.

Monday, May 13th, Hadfield returns to Earth. He'll get to see his family for the first time in about 5 months. He'll get to watch the rest of the Stanley Cup playoffs. He'll return to Earth a hero of the space, science, and science fiction loving community!

Going to outer space is now no big deal, not like it used to be anyway. There was a time when families watched every launch. When talking with people in orbit was broadcast on network television. Now, American Idol trumps whatever happens in space. But Chris Hadfield brought sexy back to outer space like he was Justin Timberlake. Now that his mission is over, I'm a little sad that I won't be seeing pictures of Earth anymore but I am glad to have witnessed what he was able to do through the power of the internet. It couldn't get much better. ... At least, that's what I thought.

Today Hadfield released a video. A music video. He covered David Bowie's "Space Oddity" and produced a music video...ON THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION!!!!

ROCK STAR!!! This guy is a ROCK. STAR.

No one else has ever done this! So here it is people. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment