Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Kutiman - Dover.D

I'm going to start this blog off not talking about the artist who is the subject.

Instead I am going to talk about my love of Star Wars.

When I was 2 years old, my parents sent me to New York to stay with my aunt while they moved from our apartment into a house. It was June, so my birthday was the following month and I would turn 3 then, but I was still 2 years old at the time.

My aunt took me to see a double feature. It was Grease and Star Wars; an unlikely combination. She later told my mother that I danced through Grease but I fell asleep on Star Wars. That wasn't quite true. I may have fallen asleep but I was sitting very still because I was blown away by the robots and spaceships. I became a lifelong Star Wars fan. That day set the tone for the rest of my life. When I saw my mom all I could talk about was Star Wars. I wanted to make everything I saw in that movie. I grew up learning how to program computers and even studied electrical engineering because of Star Wars.

BUT, I also grew up obsessed with music. I secretly wanted to be a DJ. I eventually left all of my technology work behind to try my fortune as a DJ. Here I am even writing a blog about music. Grease kinda won the battle for my soul (Which side did I join? The Light or the Dark?). I say kinda because I still watch the original Star Wars once a year. I still buy the toys. I play the video games. I want to be a wookie. And I saw this video and thought it was the coolest thing in THE WORLD!



Well, I'm on the hunt for new music and I run across this great jazzy song. I at first thought it was something from the late 60s or early 70s, it was so swank. However, I found out the song was new and was made by a guy named Kutiman.

Kutiman is a musician and animator from Israel. He studied Jazz in Tel Aviv. There he met a DJ named Sabbo. Sabbo turned Kutiman onto funk and afrobeat, and his traditional Jazz tastes began expaning rapidly.

In 2003 he took a trip to Jamaica to study reggae and ended up meeting and working with Stephen and Damien Marley.

In the years that followed he became a YouTube sensation with a musical visual collage called ThruYou. He took YouTube videos of other musicians and made their videos fit his own music. The videos went viral. He was even asked to do a similar video for Maroon 5.

Well, then I run across the video for this Dover.D song that I had been digging and my jaw hit the ground. Here's what I saw.



Holy moley! Dover.D is apparently an ode to the work of graffiti artist Dover.D who was hired by the Tel Aviv City Hall to install public art on the escalators! The words in the song even make sense "I'm gonna change you woman, step by step"!

Kutiman also has a self-titled album released in March of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment