Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Friday, May 3, 2013

Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes

This mix gave me fits. I did take after take after take. I originally had it opening up with the Original Chic Mix of Diana Ross's "I'm Coming Out" but after hearing that song 20 times, I was getting frustrated and mad and took it out of the playlist. Because even though the Chic Mix is better than the version we always hear, it's still "I'm Coming Out".

After I did that I made it through the mix from beginning to end for the first time and from what I could tell, it sounded great! I went to save it and the computer I use to record crashed in the middle of the save. I fought every urge to break something and went to bed.

I recorded it again the next day and this is the result of that recording. There are some incredible covers, remixes, re-edits and whatnot in this mix. John Morales's new release, The M+M Mixes, is represented by two songs in this mix, The Blackbyrds' "Rock Creek Park (M+M Retouch)" and Loose Joints' "Is It All Over My Face".

The two amazing covers are Mayer Hawthorne teaming up with Detroit guitar god, Dennis Coffy to cover Parliment's "All Your Goodies Are Gone". This song was just all types of Michigan amazing. Then there's Salome De Bahia's "Outro Lugar" which is a Brazilian Portuguese version of Stevie Wonder's "Another Star".

 In the re-edit department we And Daniel's edit of Bunny Mack's "Let Me Love You", and I get a little re-edit action. I heard DJ Nutritious play a re-edit of The Rolling Stones' 12" version of "Miss You". I LOVED it! It was so simple but it made you look at the song differently. So I completely imitated it. I hope he doesn't mind.

In P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up), Parliament tells us, "If you got faults, defects or shortcomings you know, like arthritis, rheumatism or migraines.
Whatever part of your body it is, I want you to lay it on your radio.
Let the vibes flow through, funk not only moves, it can remove, dig?"

It is well known that there are healing properties in music. Some good dancing funk like this always makes me feel better. There is a fine line between funk and disco. Pulling that Diana Ross song made this a funk mix. But it's still close to the boarder line. Not that there is anything wrong with some good disco. It's just that all of the best disco was actually funk.

Oh and I worked a Grateful Dead song into the set in hopes that my friend Rhiannon will finally listen to one of my mixes.

Enjoy! Tell me what you think.

The Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street
Dennis Coffy feat Mayer Hawthorne - All Your Goodies Are Gone
War - Me And Baby Brother
Funkadelic - Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On
The Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park (M+M Retouch)
Roy Ayers - Running Away (12" Version)
Loose Joints - Is It All Over My Face (M+M Mix)
Third World - Now That We Found Love
Talking Heads - Girlfriend Is Better
Barry White - Your Sweetness Is My Weakness
The Rolling Stones - Miss You (Roger Riddle's 12" Imitation Nutritious Re-Edit)
The Originals - Down To Love Town
Bunny Mack - Let Me Love You (Andy Daniell Edit)
Salome De Bahia - Outro Lugar

No comments:

Post a Comment