Earshot Boombox

Earshot Boombox
Welcome to Earshot

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Daft Punk Action Figures Exist. Why Don't I Have Any?

 David Bowie announces a new album and music lovers go crazy. What could possibly trump talk about the new Bowie album? Daft Punk announces their first album in 8 years and Bowie is left alone looking around with his hands in the air saying, “What happened?”

Random Access Memories has created a circus in the world of music media. The talk of the new album has been non-stop. There have been rumors flying, the official release of a single, well timed leaks, and most recently, a select group of music writers were invited to hear the new album. I've heard reviews that said the new album was everything from “Total bonkers” to “bold and daring” to “a touch frustrating”.

Well, what we do know for sure is that the first single, “Get Lucky” featuring Pharrrell Williams is an absolute winner and is already being hailed as the song of the summer.


The video above is in true Daft Punk fashion. If you stare at it long enough, you are treated to a brief moment where the silhouetted figures begin to groove when the break down of the song drops in.

We also know for sure that the new album will be released on May 21st and it features Pharrell Williams from N.E.R.D., Nile Rodgers from Chic, famous Disco producer Giorgio Moroder, Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, and Paul Williams. … Wait, what?

Yeah, Paul Williams.


Hey, you think of Paul Williams how you want to. I think of him as the special guest on The Muppet Show.

Now, I don't want to speculate on the album. I don't know what to expect since everyone's opinion is different, I can't go off of what those lucky few who heard it think. I doubt there will be an early leak of the album since it has been reported that the lone copy of it is kept under lock and key. Plus I wouldn't spoil the excitement by listening to a bootleg anyway. Excitement like this over the release of an album rarely happens anymore with the digital age upon us.

I will say, I am probably most excited about the song with Giorgio Moroder. He was such a brilliant producer in the 70s, using the brand new electronic sounds of that era to create songs the likes of which had never been heard before. What happens when you team up the master of the past with the masters of today?


Yeah, Moroder produced that song. It was a huge hit for Donna Summer and imagine what that had to sound like when people heard it for the first time in the 70s. This is probably the most important collaboration to happen to electronic music.

You know what, I'm not going to get myself worked up over this. I'm not even here to talk with you all about the album anyway. I really wanted to talk with you all about Daft Punk action figures.

When I heard about the release of the new album, for some reason I started thinking about how cool Daft Punk action figures would be. I loved Star Wars and G.I. Joe toys when I was growing up and I still have to swing through the toy department anytime I am out shopping. I will even buy something if I think it is cool enough.

A couple of Daft Punk action figures on my mantle would be straight swag. Well at least for me. Maybe I'd be the only one impressed by that but hell, they'd be in MY house so I'm the most important person to impress.
Bandai's new figures
I searched and found out that Japanese toy maker Bandai is making some 15cm figures to coincide with the release of Random Access Memories. They are decked out in black leather to look like they are from the Human After All era of Daft Punk. They will most likely be reasonably priced in the $40-$70 dollar range.

What, you think that's kinda high priced for a toy? Well check this out.

$600, people!
Remember seeing Daft Punk in the most recent Tron movie? (For the record that was the only part of that movie worth seeing. Don't get me started on how I paid $30 for two people to go see it in 3-D.) Well action figures were made to look like they did in the movie. You can find them for about $600 for the set or about $200 a piece . These rare figures were made by Real Action Hero and stand about 12” tall. I nearly choked when I ran across them.

Kubrick
How about these Daft Punk Tron Kubrick figures? Similar to Lego figures, a pack with both figures will run you roughly $140 at Amazon !

How about this. Trendy Japanese toy maker Medicom has made Daft Punk figures for their famous line of Bearbrick toys. They haven't been released yet but Amazon has them
Medicom Bearbrick
listed at almost $400 a piece . A PIECE!!!

Now folks, I ain't got no money. I write a music blog and that don't pay me a dime. I can't afford these toys. I don't even know anyone who can afford them AND would enjoy having them. So I am really pulling for Bandai to release their figures at a reasonable price. I would be all over those.

And for anyone who has been wondering what to buy me as a gift, see the above figures.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment